Tacoma Tool Library Needs Your Help—Find Out How!
There are many ways you can help out your local tool library! We are 100% volunteer run on rely on community members to keep us going. No tool knowledge is necessary to be a volunteer. The volunteer positions below describe the general types of tasks that we need help with. We encourage you to look into the different tasks that fit your schedule, will make the best use of your skills, and will help you gain new skills. Training is provided for each role individually, and the more training you get, the more the TTL—and you!—will get out of the experience.
Core Volunteer Positions
- Open Hours Staffing: During TTL open hours volunteers are responsible for checking tools in and out, signing up new members, putting away tools, and general customer service to the public and members alike.
- Tool Repair and Maintenance Work Partier: Volunteers spend time repairing and maintaining tools on the 4th Sunday of the month from 10 am - 1 pm. Tasks include assessing donated items, assessing the condition and safety of hand and power tools, basic tool repair, basic tool cleaning and maintenance.
- Tool Cataloging Work Partier: Volunteers spend time sorting donated tools and then cataloging them into our database, MyTurn. This is a great option for someone without routine time available, but who can spare an afternoon here and there throughout the year. We hold a monthly cataloging party on the 2nd Sunday of the month from 10 am - 1 pm.
Other Volunteer Positions
- Event Staffing: We occasionally require help representing TTL at local events such as farmers’ markets and maker fairs, which we attend to promote our organization, mission, and services. Duties vary, but include speaking with many different strangers about TTL, setting up and breaking down a table and display, signing up new members, handling cash and card payments, and teaching/moderating small activities or workshops.
- Workshop Leader: A major part of TTL’s mission is providing not only tools, but the training to use them safely and effectively. If you have a skill you’d like to share, please let us know, and we’d love to make arrangements with you to teach!
- Fundraising Committee Member
- Board Member
Monthly General Volunteer Orientation is held on the 3rd Saturday of every month at 10 am at Tacoma Tool Library.
For more information email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.